what could happen if you walk on a sprained ankle?

Dr. James Bicos
Orthopedic Surgery 22 years experience
More pain: If it is only a simple sprained ankle, walking on it too soon will only make the swelling worse and continue the pain. Sometimes a sprained ankle has significant ligament tears that can really make things worse if you walk on them too early, as they may not heal. Make sure to get an evaluation by an orthopedist.
Dr. Karim Badawy
Podiatry 8 years experience
Possible..: Hello, Depending on the severity of the sprain. If not so severe protected weight-bearing could be advised. If severe and it is not rested, you risk further attenuation and damage to the lateral ankle ligaments. This will lead to vicious cycle of continued pain and swelling. Its important that you consult a specialist for further advice. Feel better!