Avon, OH

I am 26. i have never been to the eye doctor and for a few years now, i've been seeing stringy like pieces floating in my vision. what could this be?

Dr. Alan Jackson
Addiction Medicine 30 years experience
See eye doctor: This is probably a change in the fluid in the back of the eye called vitreous. While this is usually not a serious problem, you should have you eyes examined.
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
Can be serious!: New floaters or strings in the vision can signal a retinal tear or detachment. An immediate eye exam is needed for new floaters. Floaters that are not changing and have been around for a while are likely not something to worry about.
Dr. David Hettinger
Podiatry 36 years experience
Floaters: I started seeing my "floaters" when i was very young... Maybe 9 or 10 years old. Fortunately they are harmless. Floaters are always there, we just are usually concentrating on other things and don't notice them. For me, it's usually when i'm lying in bed looking at the ceiling... There's nothing else to see, so i really notice the floaters.

Last updated Oct 24, 2017