Pakistan

hi, i had a surgery for pilonidal sonus second time, 15 days back. the wound is nice and clean because of daily dressing. what should i do to avoid its reccurence?

Dr. Joseph Sucher
Trauma Surgery 26 years experience
Clean and Dry: A complete resection of the pilonidal sinus should result in a cure from this problem. Keep your healing wound clean and dry. If you have hair in the area, then once you are completely healed, you can use a depilatory cream to remove all hair from the area.
Dr. Gary Tuma
Plastic Surgery 25 years experience
Keep area clean: You may want to be evaluated for hair removal therapies to decrease risk of recurrence.
Dr. Martin Tyson
Addiction Medicine 27 years experience
Excision: Typically recommend keeping area clean, and minimizing hair growth- using depilatory agent like nair works. For multiply recurrent abscesses, usually recommend excision of that whole area when inflammation has died down, and attempt closure with a local flap such as karydakis flap.
Dr. Allen Kamrava
Colon and Rectal Surgery 15 years experience
Shaving Hair: The only thing we know that possibly can prevent a recurrence is hair shaving. You want to keep the area around the surgery completely clear of hair. Options include regular shaving, laser hair removal or nair (or similary products).