what is the healthiest fluid to rehydrate an adult following severe stomach flu-like symtoms?

Dr. Holly Barth
Dr. Holly Barthanswered
General Practice 9 years experience
Gatorade: You want electrolytes. Something like gatorade or powerade is best. If a person is severely dehydrated, it is important to see a physician to get the amount of fluid and electrolytes needed.
Clear Liquids: Start with clear liquid like water, soda that is clear, or sports hydration drinks. Sip often to prevent dehydration. Work up to solids with bland foods like bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, gelatin, or chicken. Avoid alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, dairy & high fat foods. Rest.
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Vegetable broth or..: Ideally you want a clear liquid that has electrolytes (sodium, potassium) and magnesium. The best is to chop green veggies, carrots, onions and potatoes and simmer for 20 minutes, then add some salt and drink just the broth. Another good option is coconut water, which is a good source of potassium and easily assimilated.
Pathology 49 years experience
Drink a lot of water: Agree with Dr. Fowler. Drink enough water of the fluid recommended by Dr. Fowler so that your urine is mostly colorless. You should drink plenty of water everyday to keep your urine watery. Have a healthy diet, exercise, drink plenty of water, have safe sex, if you do. Wish you good health!