my son is 6 years old and has asthma. i want to know if its mandatory to give him the flu shot?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Pamela Lindor
31 years experience Pediatrics
Great idea: Its a very good idea for your son to get the flu shot. All kids over 6 months of age should be immunized against influenza. It's even more important if your child has asthma or other chronic diseases.
Answered on Oct 28, 2016
11
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
28 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Advisable: Strongly recommend it for children, especially that he has asthma. It will be detrimental if he gets the flu, his asthma will be exacerbated.
Answered on Feb 18, 2013
3
Dr. Gary Kohn
Dr. Gary Kohn answered
26 years experience Pediatric Pulmonology
It is recommended: This year has been an early flu season and pediatric deaths are on the rise. The final number of pediatric deaths may be the same as previous years but may be higher if flu activity continues. The flu vaccine is recommended in all children over 6 months and especially indicated for those with underlying medical conditions like asthma. Flu vaccine has been shown to reduce death and hospitalization.
Answered on Mar 28, 2015
7
45 years experience Pediatrics
I would: I almost lost an otherwise healthy 3 yo to the flu 2 years ago and both kids and adults die from it yearly. Many people do get the flu and get through it fine.There are always years when the shot doesn't protect as well as we wish. However, you never want to be the parent sitting at the bedside while your kid fights for their life, and you could have done something simple to avoid that scene.
Answered on Jun 6, 2018
1