Why does my doctor keep saying again when he wants me to take a breath i know to do it when he moves the stethoscope anyway?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Shaym Puppala answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Not everyone knows: When we listen to the lungs, we are listening for abnormal breath sounds and air movement. It is necessary to take deep breaths in and out for the sounds for proper evaluation. Not everyone knows this; some people will take a deep breath and hold it, others breathe normally, others breathe in and out deeply only once. For this reason, some of us give specific instructions as a routine.

Answered 7/31/2019

6.2k views

Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Auscultation: Agree with Dr. Puppala. Additionally, the physician may need to hear additional breaths in a particular area and is alerting the patient as to timing.

Answered 8/11/2019

151 views