Pittsboro, IN

i had a total hip replacement on 11/27/2007. i am having pain in my hip joint area. i saw the surgeon and he said no clue as my hip shows very little wear. what should i do?

Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Orthopedic Surgery 34 years experience
Other sources: While early wear may be a finding consistent with sunk iris and pain, the absence of wear means very little regarding pain. Could be lots of things including: a loose prosthesis, synovitis, tendinitis of near muscles, residual scar tissue, and infection. In you case can't say which if any, but you doc should consider each.
Dr. Bertrand Kaper
Orthopedic Reconstructive Surgery 29 years experience
Second opinion : Although your hip pain may be related to your hip replacement, it could actually be pain coming from another source, possibly your lower back. A second opinion with a hip replacement specialist is probably a good idea. The type of hip replacement you had (?Metal on metal) should be investigated.
Dr. David Fisher
Orthopedic Surgery 39 years experience
Several causes: Pain after total hip can be from several sources. These include bursitis on the outside of the hip, tendonitis inside the hip, synovitis (inflammation) of the lining of the hip, loosening of the implant, or infection. Material wear from the implant may cause unusual pain. An orthopedic surgeon knowledgeable about these conditions should be able to help but it might require some additional tests.