A 30-year-old member asked:

Is there a disase/condition/disorder that would make someone more susceptible to having pressure sores?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Varadarajan Subbiah
Internal Medicine 17 years experience
No: Pressure sores result from just that, pressure. These are typically found in bed bound patients where parts of their body are constantly in contact with a surface such as a mattress. The body's own weight causes erosion of the tissue and for a sore to develop. Vitamin c has been shown to reduce the incidence of pressure ulcers.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher commented
Internal Medicine 29 years experience
Protein calorie malnutrtion or any disease leading to that state or any disease leading to immobility will significantly increase risk.
Jan 10, 2013

Related questions

A 38-year-old member asked:
What sort of disease is chronic high blood pressure?
2 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A 21-year-old member asked:
Explain to me why Paget disease could cause abnormal pressure on a spinal nerve?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 27-year-old member asked:
Are high blood pressure and kidney disease related?
3 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old member asked:
Which mechanism in kidney disease causes high blood pressure?
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
What are the protein needs for adults with renal disease and pressure ulcers who are not on dialysis?
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Apr 24, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.