how is basal cell carcinoma diagnosed?

Dr. Jay Bradley
LASIK Surgery 18 years experience
Basal cell carcinoma: This type of tumor is diagnosed by clinical appearance and confirmed by excisional biopsy in most cases.

Besides cell phones, what are other sources of rf energy that cause cancer?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 47 years experience
Proof of cell: Phone link not yet in, microwaves are relatively safe, but radiation is in the electromagnetic spectrum and is a clear cause, and u-v light is part of the spectrum causing skin cancers. All seem to demonstrate direct links to dose and time of exposure. X-rays seem to have no threshold, but very low doses are very unliklely to lead to individual harm, but to a population, a small number will.

What are my options if i was just diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma?

Dr. Martin Rubenstein
Hematology and Oncology 45 years experience
Surgery, usually.: Basal cell cancers are typically skin cancers that are related to prior sun damage. They are the least aggressive of skin cancers and are usually cured by surgical removal. There are other options if the tumor is too large to remove surgically, but those are exceptions. The results from surgery are typically excellent.

What to do if I have just been diagnosed with a basal cell carcinoma?

Pathology 49 years experience
See your doctor: Basal cell carcinomas are the least dangerous cancers and are curable with local removal. You obviously are seeing a doctor to have received the diagnosis. Depending on the location of the cancer, you may need to consult a plastic surgeon.

I just got diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma..How bad is this?

Pathology 44 years experience
Don't neglect it: These little nuisance things will eat right through your skull if you neglect them. Fortunately, they very seldom spread to distant locations. Have it excised. If you want a big scar, opt for simple excision. If you want a small scar, microsurgery is available with the local pathologist telling the local surgeon whether he/she needs to cut more from a particular.

Which type of doctor should I see to diagnose and treat my basal cell carcinoma?

Pathology 44 years experience
Your choice: A surgeon interested in this type of surgery, or a dermatologist who does this kind of thing, will be able to help you. Ask about your options. If it's someplace where you care about the cosmetic results, you can have special microsurgery.