how can i get extra iron if i am pregnant?

Dr. Amy Herold
Supplements: Prenatal vitamins have a moderate amount of iron in them, but many pregnant women need additional iron on top of what is in their vitamin. There are many over-the-counter iron supplements, find one that is easy on the digestive tract and take it with vitamin C or orange juice to help your body absorb it better.
Dr. Maritza Baez
Healthy diet: Sources of iron - egg yolks, molasses, raisin bran, raisins, prunes, dried apricots, figs, kidney beans, pinto beans, navy beans, lentils, split green peas, enriched cereals, enriched macaroni, spinach, greens, broccoli, lima beans, avocado. Cook in a cast iron pan. The following foods can help your body absorb iron better: orange, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapefruit, broccoli, brussels sprouts.