Is it normal for my relationship with my husband to change after baby?

Dr. Lawrence Wasser
Specializes in Pediatrics
Yes: It would be extremely surprising if it did not change. Bringing a new person into a household is a huge event that will change relationships. Your marriage's new & important task - childrearing - this is a lot of new work (and huge rewards!) that the two of you must learn to share. You both have to realize that you are no longer the most important member of this family- parenting takes partners.
Dr. Laura Webb
Yes: Having a new member enter your family is a major change! both of you are sleep deprieved and probably most of your conversations revolve around the baby. Remember to keep up your own relationship with the occasional date night and aim for baby to have an early bedtime so that the two of you can have some time alone together.
Dr. Janesta Noland
Specializes in Pediatrics
Yes: Oh my goodness, says the married mom doctor! lots of things will change, but especially that one! it's not necessarily bad, but hang in there and remember to actively schedule time for the two of you together! for quite a while you will feel physically/sexually different. Baby demands so much of your energy/time/body. But put effort into maintaining that relationship, make time for it!
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Yes: Yes! everything changes after the birth of your child! the focus shifts from the marital relationship to the baby! your baby's needs take precedence. The roles in the family shift. There are a variety of stresses in play here, from financial changes to the emotional changes of adjusting your new life. But remember to still put your marriage first and your child second, not the other way around!