should i get amalgam filling on my teeth or is there a better type of filling?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Jack Binder
Specializes in Dentistry
It all depends: What do you mean by better? Amalgam is a workhorse. It lasts a long time. There are more cosmetic materials, but they probably don't last as long. Gold is without doubt the most accurate, strongest, and longest lasting material we have.
Answered on Mar 25, 2014
1
Dr. David Stall
38 years experience Dentistry
Depend: I have not used amalgam silver fillings in my practice for over 15 years. Not because they are not a good filling, but because i feel that the composite resin fillings, which are tooth colored, are a better filling. At least in my hands. Some may disagree, but I have found they last as long and create less tooth stress than amalgam. They are more technique sensitive and more difficult to place.
Answered on Mar 25, 2014
1
2
Dr. Franklin Allen
13 years experience Dentistry
they may cause less stress on a tooth and in the right cases will last longer because more sound tooth is left in place. Recent studies show amalgam lasts twice as long, My opinion is that larger fillings on back teeth are better served in amalgam or with crowns. Small fillings or anterior fillings, composites definitely are superior.
Jan 26, 2013
Dr. Stephen Gordon
43 years experience Dentistry
No to amalgam: Amalgam fillings are 50% mercury. When you chew, brush your teeth or clench or grind your teeth, the amalgam gives off mercury vapor. Look up the negative affects from mercury exposure. Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive substance. The ada considers amalgam to be safe but when removed, the epa considers it to be hazardous waste. Do you want this material in your mouth?
Answered on Dec 9, 2013