Should i get amalgam filling on my teeth or is there a better type of filling?

7 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Jack Binder answered

Specializes in Dentistry

It all depends: What do you mean by better? Amalgam is a workhorse. It lasts a long time. There are more cosmetic materials, but they probably don't last as long. Gold is without doubt the most accurate, strongest, and longest lasting material we have.

Answered 3/25/2014

5.4k views

Dr. David Stall answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Depend: I have not used amalgam silver fillings in my practice for over 15 years. Not because they are not a good filling, but because i feel that the composite resin fillings, which are tooth colored, are a better filling. At least in my hands. Some may disagree, but I have found they last as long and create less tooth stress than amalgam. They are more technique sensitive and more difficult to place.

Answered 3/25/2014

5.4k views

Dr. Stephen Gordon answered

Specializes in

No to amalgam: Amalgam fillings are 50% mercury. When you chew, brush your teeth or clench or grind your teeth, the amalgam gives off mercury vapor. Look up the negative affects from mercury exposure. Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive substance. The ada considers amalgam to be safe but when removed, the epa considers it to be hazardous waste. Do you want this material in your mouth?

Answered 12/9/2013

5.4k views