Brooklyn, NY

I notice after a bowel movement i have blood coming from my anus. what could be the reason for this? should i go to the emergency room? it is also painful.

Dr. Linda Gromko
Bleeding after BM: The most likely reason for pain and bleeding after a bowel movement would be an anal fissure, or tear. This usually happens when a person tries to pass an unusually hard stool - as when we are constipated. The tissues tear a bit, and bleed. Hemorrhoids can bleed also. I think you should go to the er if the bleeding is heavy (unlikely). But do talk to your doctor about this problem. Lgromkomd.
Last updated Aug 29, 2013