I was on ppi for gerd and recently diagnosed with austiopenia? is famotidine is better choice for me or should i continue ppi? is famotidine safe?

Dr. George T Tsai
General Surgery 28 years experience
Mostly yes...: Head to head - ppi has a more profound effect on your gastric ph and prolonged and/ or higher doses are associated with poor bone health and other issues. Long term acid suppression should be avoided if possible. Dietary and behavior changes can improve gerd for most with medication used for break thru sx. Bottom line - you need to discuss your situation with a doc to be safe.
Dr. Moe Amadpour
Gastroenterology 29 years experience
Yes: There is a slight risk of osteopenia with taking ppi. You need to make sure you do not have other risk factors for osteopenia.So far, there is no evidence to show tat Famotidine cause osteopenia. You can take Famotidine for gerd but the dose is usually higher 20mg once or twice a day.

Last updated Oct 9, 2017