I was on ppi for gerd and recently diagnosed with austiopenia? is famotidine is better choice for me or should i continue ppi? is famotidine safe?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. George T Tsai answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Head to head - ppi has a more profound effect on your gastric ph and prolonged and/ or higher doses are associated with poor bone health and other issues. Long term acid suppression should be avoided if possible. Dietary and behavior changes can improve gerd for most with medication used for break thru sx. Bottom line - you need to discuss your situation with a doc to be safe.

Answered Oct 9, 2017

5.4k views