Why does my child get separation anxiety?

Dr. Laura Webb
Object permanence: Around 4-7 months babies develop a sense of object permanence, which means they can tell when something is gone (and this includes their parents!) and don't yet have a concept of time, so they don't know you will return. To minimize this anxiety try leaving your child with familiar caregivers such as grandparents or a babysitter they are used too.
Dr. Faryal Ghaffar
Separation anxiety: An infant starts to think for the first time around 6 months that he/she is separate from the mother/father. An infant get anxious when he/she realizes that the parent/caregiver is not around. This stage is not permanent. It phases out between 18 -30 months.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 51 years experience
Good answer! The first self-image is a body image. Finding your feet & implicit memory @ 5 mos. are milestones that lead to stranger anxiety
Nov 16, 2012
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Nov 16, 2012
Dr. Richard Levenson
Anxiety Disorders 33 years experience
Anxiety in Children: In a school-age child, I am of the opinion that "some" parents communicate a sense of their own anxieties to their children. Sensing something is very wrong, children want to remain by their parent's sides, feeling that they can either make things safe or they will feel safer with them. It is complicated in theory, but treatment for children can be very successful.