A 31-year-old male asked:

I have a heart burn problem since 4 years. i got an endoscopy done and the doctor said it is gerd and he prescribed rabeprozole. i have temporarly relief but no fix.what should i do?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Sergio Casillas-Romero
Specializes in Colon and Rectal Surgery
Further work-up need: Make sure you were also tested for h-pylori infection as sometimes it can produce similar symptoms. A hiatal hernia also needs to be ruled out. Sometimes anti-reflux surgery is needed when medical therapy fails.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Elden Rand
Cardiology 23 years experience
Consider alternative: Not every medication in that class (ppi) works quite as well for an individual. Consider omeprazole, esomeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole, deslansoprazole. Some patients benefit from addiing a pepsid class (h2) medi to their ppi regimen. Others may need to undergo surgical procedure of fundoplication. For any of these, you should return to your gastroenterologist for individual treatment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 13, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.