what happen if you take two prenatal vitamins?

Most likely: No significant issues if you take 2 vitamins by mistake.

How do I decide which prenatal vitamin to take?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
All the same: The extra vitamins, minerals and iron that are required during pregnancy are all available in the appropriate amounts in any over the counter adult multivitamin. There is nothing extra special or better about a prenatal. A higher price does not mean it is better for you.

What do I need to know about prenatal vitamins?

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Take one: There are many brands of prenatal vitamins each with a slightly different compilation of vitamins. The best one to take is the one that you like. Folate (folic acid) in prenatal vitamins has been shows to prevent certain birth defects especially if taken before pregnancy. Find one you like and take it daily.

Is it safe to take diabetic vitamins while pregnant?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Yes: If by diabetic vitamins you mean sugar-free than yes it is safe to take while pregnant.

Do prenatal vitamins interact negatively with medications?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Yes: Some yes. You need to ask your pharmacist about possible interactions between your medications and your prenatal vitamins.

What can I do to prepare for my first pre-natal appointment?

Dr. Amy Herold
History and dates: At your first prenatal appointment you will need to know the date of your last menstrual period, so have that ready. Know your personal history: surgeries with dates, medical conditions, medications (vitamins count!), and family history for you and your partner. You will have an ultrasound to confirm your pregnancy dates, a full physical exam, blood tests and a pap if you are not current.

Last updated May 20, 2020