Saint Paris, OH

had a hysterectomy several years ago and on estrogen and testoserone but hard to lose weight what can i do?

Dr. David Geffner
Endocrinology 54 years experience
Talk to your doctor: Most women do not need supplemental testosterone. Was it a total hysterectomy?
Dr. Ward Dean
Dr. Ward Dean commented
Anti-Aging Medicine 43 years experience
I rarely prescribe testosterone for women. Women very efficiently convert DHEA to testosterone. As most women are invariably deficient in DHEA as they grow older, they can kill two birds with one stone by taking DHEA, which they will convert to testosterone. DHEA dose can be adjusted based on testosterone's "side effects" (facial hair, voice deepening). DHEA is very inexpensive, and available over the counter in a health food store. Usual DHEA dose for women is 15-25 mg per day in the morning.
Dec 31, 2012
Dr. Ward Dean
Anti-Aging Medicine 43 years experience
Try Metformin: Metformin is very effective for helping lose body fat. As we grow older, we all tend to become Insulin resistant. Insulin's function is to move sugar from the blood into the cells where it is stored as fat. I routinely prescribe metformin to my overweight patients (mostly non-diabetics) with overwhelmingly gratifying success. They feel better, have more energy, and lose their carb cravings.
Dr. John Geisler
Gynecologic Oncology 27 years experience
Weight / menopause: Each year after menopause your metabolism slows down. So, to increase weight loss you have to increase activity and decrease calories. You may also have to consider getting rid of the testosterone.