I have dull headaches which are now more sharp. i hear high pitched ringing in ears and also buzzing. i feel a sharp neck pain at base of skull. could it be a tmj flare up? what should i do?

8 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Dan Fisher answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Too many symptoms.: Sounds like complicated and overlapping issues. This will require doc visit to sort out. I suspect you will need an audiogram in addition to a good exam.

Answered 2/21/2016

5.4k views

Dr. Robert Ryan answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Possible TMJ symptom: All of these could be symptoms of TMJ disorder. It takes a talented diagnostician to decipher these symptoms. I would suggest consulting a dentist trained in TMJ diagnosis and treatment. If TMJ dysfunction is ruled out, you could then be referred to a neurologist.

Answered 7/11/2018

5.4k views

Dr. David Chrisman answered

Specializes in Dentistry - Cosmetic

Likely TMJ : Headaches and ear pain are many of the presenting chief complaints of patients with tmj. You can sort out the ringing by protruding your jaw forward when the ringing occurs. It protrusion of you jaw changes or eliminates the ringing sound then there is a jaw connection. Either way you should see a dentist specially trained in tmj.

Answered 11/10/2017

5.2k views

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Possibly: Depends upon your past history of symptoms or and if you are exhibiting new symptoms. I would see a md/do and get an opinion and then consider a tmj/tmd specialist. They could hopefully collaborate and recommend the best treatment.

Answered 2/21/2016

4.7k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Yes: Could be a flare up. But have an ENT doc examine you to rule out other things. If negative, See a TMJ expert. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

Answered 6/30/2015

3.1k views