Venice, FL

best recommended otc drug for random heartburn? no prilosec. tums (calcium carbonate) and rolaids make me vomit. nothing to chew. rather a preventative than an as needed.

Dr. Linda Gromko
How about behaviors?: Assuming you have tried ranitidine (otc), here are some thoughts. Heartburn is caused by acidic stomach contents sloshing up into the less protected esophagus, and it can be brought on by acidic or spicy foods, alcohol, coffee, etc. If you are overweight or pregnant, you are more prone to heartburn because of the greater pressure in your belly. Eating late at night may bring it on, as can smoking.