U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old member asked:

Ii feel like my nutrition isnt being absorbed should ii take hlc bermaine to help food digest?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics 33 years experience
G.I. doctor to check: A gastroenterologist (G.I. Or stomach specialist) can evaluate for problems if a person thinks he is not absorbing nutrients properly. There are many different types of malabsorption, so one cannot just presume that taking some acid would help. Some digestive enzymes require an acid environment, but other enzymes (the ones in the small intestine) need the acid "neutralized" in order to work.
Dr. Martin Fried
Nutrition 36 years experience
See a specialist: Before taking a supplement you should b evaluated by a stomach and intestine specialist. Some very simple, inexpensive, non invasive tests can determine your absorption status. If youre not absorbing, further testing can be done to determine the specific cause and necessary treatment.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 28, 2016

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.