Houma, LA

is it safe to drink an 8 oz glass of prune juice every morning? and is it safe or can it cause electrolyte disturbances?

Dr. Yash Khanna
It is safe: It is safe and will not cause any problems.

I like to juice, am I more susceptible to parasites?

Dr. John Munshower
No: Juicing should not increase your susceptibility to parasite infections.

Is homemade juice safe for toddlers?

Dr. Karen Lawson
Yes: You need to make sure that the fruit, containers, and other ingredients are cleaned well. Preparing a smooth mixture without seeds or lumps by straining the juice mixture is prudent. Avoid exotic fruits and baby should have no more than a cup a day.

Is juice of bitter gourd helfpful for weight reduction?

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Specializes in Family Medicine
No: There is no evidence that this product helps with weight reduction. It has been used to lower blood sugar in diabetes, but the studies are weak.

Some juice from an orange went down the wrong way.What will happen to the juice?

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine 34 years experience
It gets absorbed: I take it from your question that some orange juice went down your trachea, or airway. We call this aspiration, and unless it was a large amount or happens repeatedly it is not likely to cause any problem. It is acidic, so will be even more uncomfortable than other liquids in the airway, but will be absorbed into the body. There is a small chance it could cause a pneumonia, but this is not likely.
Los Angeles, CA

I drilled into the young coconut and got a lot of juice. Can I drink all of it without anything bad happening?

Dr. Traci Buxton
Yes: Coconut juice is very nutritious and has a chemical composition similar to human plasma, therefore, it is full of vitamins and minerals, low in calories and can give a sudden burst of energy. Enjoy!