how many times per day should my baby poop?

Dr. Pamela Lindor
It depends....: The frequency of bowel movements varies with age. In the first month, babies can have 4-7 stools per day, sometimes after every feed! at about one month, most infants will move their bowels about 1-4 times per day. By about 4 months, some breastfed babies will only need to have a bm once or twice a week! call your doctor if you are not sure.
Dr. Marcus Degraw
4 per day to every 4: Average will be somewhere between 4 per day to once every 4 days. However, some babies will poop 6- 8 times per day and some up to every 7-10 days. There obviously is a wide range of normal. If baby acts well in between and they arent in discomfort, then you should be fine.
Varies from 1-6: Babies in the first couple months of life poop quite often, sometimes after each feeding. Pooping decreases as a baby gets older, and may eventually be just once a day. There is great variation among normal healthy babies in pooping frequency. Parents can tell the doctor at each check-up how the pooping is, and the doctor can help decide if such pooping is normal.
Dr. Paul Trani
Specializes in Pediatrics
Once, probably: It really depends on what your baby eats. Breast-fed babies often have one bm/day, or sometimes one bm every 2-3 days. The most important thing is that the stool is soft, but remember that many breast-fed babies have watery stools. Bms 3-4 times/day are common for other babies, and these are usually of a mushy consistency.
Dr. Kevin Windisch
7x in 1 d or 1/wk: 7 times in 1 day or 1 time in 7 days as long as it is nonpainful and soft it is all normal.
Dr. Cory Annis
Internal Medicine and Pediatrics 29 years experience
It varies: Wow, this varies a lot. It's typical for breast fed babies to stool after nearly every feeding, though that slows down some as they get older. However, going several days between stools is not abnormal either, in a baby that is eating regularly and appears comfortable and healthy.
Dr. Victoria Acharya
Specializes in Pediatrics
Depends: Breastfed babies often poop with each feed in the first few months. Babies fed formula or older children can poop anywhere from several times per day to only once per week. As long as the stool is soft (not hard balls), it's normal. If you do see hard stools, especially associated with pain or blood, your pediatrician may have some simple suggestions to improve it.
Dr. Victoria Acharya
Specializes in Pediatrics
Depends: P.S. All babies tend to strain rather dramatically with stools at some point, probably because their brain is working hard to coordinate their intestinal muscles (which are still weak) and nerves. Plus they are laying flat most of the time, so they don't have help from gravity. As long as their stools are soft, the crying, pulling up of legs, turning red is normal and won't last forever.
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Breast poops...: ...Can be even more variable: very loose stools with every feeding are normal, but so are formed stools once a week, and every schedule in between, even changing from one to the other extreme.
Dr. Larry Xanthopoulos
Depends on the age: How old is your baby? If we are talking about the first or second month then for breastfed babies it might be 6-10 times (sometimes with every feeding) or formula fed babies might have 2-3 stools a day. After 2 months or so of life they start stooling less, especially no stooling at night. So babies after 2 months of age may stool anywhere from 2-3 times a day to every other day.