what can i do to fix a hammer toe?

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
See a podiatrist: Your only real option for fixing is via surgery.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Hammertoe care: Hammertoes can limit your ability to get into regular shoes. Try having your feet measured for more comfortable shoes with a higher toebox. Padding, hammertoe slints, and orthoces may be of benefit. If all fails surgery may be a good option.
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry 12 years experience
Surgery vs. padding.: If you catch hammertoes in the early stages, a small, in-office procedure to release one of the tendons will often allow the toe to lie straight again. If the toe deformity has become rigid, the surgery is more involved. It's an outpatient procedure in an operating room, and can involve bone cuts, pins, screws, or other implants. Without surgery, your best bet is padding to reduce your discomfort.