Brooklyn, NY

My psychiatrist says that my anxiety has caused me to become psychotic. do any doctors here agree of such a possibility?

Dr. Imad Khreim
Yes and No: Your pschiatrist knows your situation best. Your anxiety may have been a prodrome for the psychotic illness you are mentioning. Psychotic breaks can be precipitated by stressful events leading to anxiety.
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology 24 years experience
Possible: You psychiatrist knows you and it will benefit you if you have trust. Or go for 2 nd opinion.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Not exactly: Anxiety can be the prodromal symptom to a psychotic break in people who have a psychosis- prone illness. As far as anxiety causing psychosis, i believe that happens occasionally in ptsd with psychosis, temporal lobe epilepsy, or in very brief psychotic breaks in borderline personality disorder. There are extremely rare cases of psychosis and pseudo psychosis in people with very complex dissociation went very stressed. I have rarely seen someone have a panic attack induced very very brief psychotic break. Generally consisted only of voices occurring at the height of the panic and lasting only for several minutes. I would welcome any comments that my colleagues may have from their experience with these conditions and with the progression of anxiety turning into psychosis. This must however be quite rare and it has been very rare in my experience.

Last updated May 7, 2016