can i drink alcohol while i'm on cortison in low dosage (30mg/day) and antiviral (500mg/day) and i am taking nexuim (esomeprazole 40mg/day)?

Dr. Martin Raff
55 years experience Infectious Disease
Yes: No contraindication to some alcohol in moderation.
Answered on Nov 28, 2017
1
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
48 years experience Addiction Medicine
I have to disagree, actually quite strongly, with the above answers only in that they do not define what "moderately" is. I have worked in substance abuse treatment as well as educating my colleagues, and I must say that beside describing patients' drinking as "social" is that they advise moderation. An old joke is that an alcoholic is someone who drinks more than their doctor. Most people asking these questions, IMHO, are likely drinking far more than moderately or they wouldn't be asking. Particularly without knowing why someone is one hydrocortisone 30 mg (a history of Addison's disease or what?), the fact they are on prilosec means they have heartburn or reflux. In such folks, the best amount of alcohol is none. Finally, he is on an antiviral, in a dose where I assume it is acylovir or some similar, so there is herpesvirus involved. Alcohol has significant effects on cellular immunity, and I wouldn't recommend any, Personally.
Dec 17, 2012