U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 47-year-old female asked:

An mri in nov 2012 showed a radiological cyst on l. femur; pain since may 2012. i have stage 111c breast cancer. should i get a pet /ct?

3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Family Medicine 24 years experience
Should see doc ASAP: I am sorry to hear of your breast cancer status. Mri picture is only a picture. Regardless of what it is, it is causing you pain and that should be evaluated and treated. Maybe it is a cyst, or maybe it is something else. You have reasons to get it looked at more thoroughly and so please don't hesitate to consult your doc. Good luck to you.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen commented
Family Medicine 24 years experience
Provided original answer
You can always get a second opinion... let me know if you need additional medical advice. Good luck
Dec 17, 2012
Dr. Carlo Contreras
A Verified Doctoranswered
Surgical Oncology 19 years experience
Probably not: On mri, cysts are pretty easily distinguished from metastasis from breast cancer. If you still have concerns, ask your oncologist if he can have the MRI interpreted by a second radiologist to make all are in agreement with the cyst diagnosis.
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Radiology 30 years experience
PET/CT may not: Help much, but please see your doctor and complete the workup. If the first MRI did not include IV contrast, then a repeat MRI with contrast may be helpful. Also, what did the cyst look like on plain radiographs (x-rays) or a ct? You need to get an answer to your pain as well as a definite answer about whether the bone cyst could be cancer. Please get a full workup for the answers.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.