U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old male asked:

I have an internal hemorrhoid remaining after an ex. thrombosed hemorrhoid. it constantly discharges mucous and sometimes blood? how can i stop this?

4 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Olaf Johansen
Colon and Rectal Surgery 36 years experience
Rubber band ligation: A simple internal hemorrhoid like you describe can usually be handled in the office with rubber band ligation this is a simple and effective office procedure . See a colon and rectal surgeon hope this helps.
Dr. Andres Katz
Surgery - Vascular 49 years experience
Yes: See a proctologist, you may have a fissure or recurrent internal hemorrhoid that can be treated.
Dr. Jay Bayer
Family Medicine 51 years experience
Hemmoroids: These are veins. Internal plexus above rectum with no sensation. They will bleed brite red, no pain. External ones clot and hurt and at times we do incise and drain. Mucous means some type of irritation. Need physician exam of rectum .We use short anoscope to examin. If have external roads almost always have internal ones. Dr. Will check for rectal pathology.
Dr. David Henry
General Surgery 12 years experience
May need surgery: The hemorrhoids are causing the bleeding. But the persistent drainage of mucus from the anus probably isn't from hemorrhoids. There could be a fistula or infection there. You can increase fiber intake and use laxatives to avoid constipation, which may help. But the best option is for a surgeon (especially colorectal surgeon) to look at it. There are procedures they do to fix the problem.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated May 2, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.