U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 42-year-old member asked:

How do i take care of a child with pyloric stenosis?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Troy Reyna
Pediatric Surgery 46 years experience
Surgery: An infant with pyloric stenosis needs surgery to reopen the pylorus. After surgery infant should be burped well after about each 1/2 ounce of formula. Until their total volume is consumed. Some vomiting is common the first week after surgery especially if overfed.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Eric Lazar
34 years experience
Surgery is the cure: Your child needs to have the pyloric muscle cut which is done in a very short and nearly scarless operation done by a qualified surgeron. Any children's surgeon can explain the procedure and care for this common problem but the most important thing is to make sure that enough fluids and salts are being administered.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 41-year-old member asked:
What is pyloric stenosis?
3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
Can pyloric stenosis return?
3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 37-year-old member asked:
What is the cause of pyloric stenosis?
2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
What are the tests for pyloric stenosis?
4 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 4, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $19/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.