is it true that estrogen increases the risk of breast cancer?

Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery 23 years experience
HRT-yes: The use of hormone replacement therapy (hrt) for menopause has been shown to increase the risk for breast cancer when used longer than 5 years. Oral contraceptives do not have any relation nor increase in risk of breast cancer.
Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 50 years experience
Yes to a degree: Estrogens are normal to have in the female body. But some women can develop breast cancer particularly due to hormone replacement therapy in older years. Most breast cancers are promoted due to Estrogens especailly taking them as suplemnts for more than 5 years.