U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old male asked:

I fit antisocial personality disorder almost to a t. what should i do? i'm in trouble at work and see doc, for bipolar already. i need help?

2 doctor answers15 doctors weighed in
Dr. Lonna Larsh
Family Medicine 31 years experience
See a counselor: If you are already seeing a psychiatrist for bipolar, that is a step in the right direction. You should also see a counselor to help you come up with strategies for getting along with people and in difficult situations. Good for you for looking for help. A lot of people in your shoes would just blame everyone else around them. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Woods
Psychiatry 31 years experience
Excellent answer!
Dec 12, 2012
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Clinical Psychology 24 years experience
Empathy training: If you have antisocial traits, and i'm presuming you see a doctor for medication for bipolar disorder, you need therapy focusing on empathy and social perspective taking. Ask your doctor about the personality disorder diagnosis and find an expert in the field for therapy.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 45 years experience
This is good advice. The fact that our visitor seems troubled by the idea he may have "antisocial personality" is a sign that whatever's happened, he can learn new skills and attitudes and make himself and everyone around him happier.
Jun 13, 2014
Last updated May 14, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.