Stamford, CT

my eye gets watery and red out of no where. what should i do? iv had this for over a year. is it serious?

Dr. Jay Bradley
LASIK Surgery 18 years experience
Eye irritation: Your description sounds like eye irritation with reflex tearing. The most common causes are dry eye and blepharitis. Try using frequent artificial tears, ointment at night, warm compresses 2-3 times a day and omega-3 fatty acid supplements. If no improvement, see an eye doctor.
Dr. Neha Reshamwala
Allergy and Immunology 17 years experience
Should see eye doc: If your eyes are getting red and watery intermittently throughout the year it may be an allergy or an irritant causing the symptoms. Also, monitor for swelling and pain. If either develop go immediately to your doctor. Try rewetting drops and have an eye evaluation to see if you need a further allergy evaluation.
Dr. Thomas Klein
Allergy and Immunology 41 years experience
Eye drops: You could have allergic conjunctivitis or allergy eyes. Tearing, redness and itching are part of this problem. Allergy eye drops help. Avoiding the cause of the problem is key also. Skin tests help to guide you as to what to avoid.