My ankle is a little swollen. it gets stuck and i have to force it, so it pops. it's been going on like this for years and it can hurt up to my knee. what should i do?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Not unusual: Osteochondritis dissecans fractures arthritis tendonitis ligament injury all those conditions could cause locking of the ankle joint. When you unlock your joint the pain shoot to the knee which also not unusual because of the anatomy connection. .

Answered 12/5/2012

5.4k views

Dr. Eric Bluman answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery

Troubling...: These symptioms are troubling and suggest that there is some problem within your ankle joint or a tendon in the area. See an orthopaedic foot and ankle surgeon. One in your area can be found at www.Aofas.Org.

Answered 12/5/2012

5.4k views

See a doctor: You might have arthritis, or lesion of the ankle dome. See a podiatrist or orthopedist for evaluation. X-rays, and often times an MRI will help answer your question.

Answered 6/10/2014

5.4k views