within what time period should a patella fracture be removed in surgery?

Dr. Jack Choueka
Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
Hardware removal: Assuming the question is when to have surgery to remove patella hardware after fixation. Hardware need not ever be removed unless becomes loose or painful.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Varies: I would need quite a bit more specific information about the specifics of the fracture. Displaced fractures of the patella usually require surgery in the form of an open reduction and internal fixation of the bone usually with pins, wires or screws. Rarely, a fracture of the patella is so displaced and comminuted that a removal of the patella is contemplated. Thankyou for the question.