what is the definition or description of: lower leg swelling?

Dr. Nick (Donald) Morrison
Phlebology 30 years experience
Edema: Swelling in the lower leg can involve the foot, ankle, lower leg(calf), or whole leg. This edema or swelling can be caused by heart problems, vein problems or lymphedema.Pooling of blood or lymph fluid can cause skin changes as well. Patient must be evaluated to decide causes.
Dr. David Schleimer
Vague, depends: Is it one leg or both? Has there been recent trauma? The definition is enlargement of the lower leg. Could be superficial fluid accumulation or it could edema (swelling) of one or both of the muscles of the lower leg: the gastrecnemious and the soleous muscles. Internet consult not enough, see your doctor, good luck!