How can i handle caregiving for multiple family members?

9 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Christopher Dowd answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Support system: Sounds like it could be a challenging task. Suggest you take steps to develop a support network to help you help others. It's also important you don't neglect yourself in the process so include time to do the things you need to take care of yourself. Look into home health/home companions. Check 4 local resources through religious orgs, public sector. Doctor's office may point u in right direction.

Answered 10/19/2018

6.1k views

Get support!: Caregiving can be highly stressful and can lead to depression and other health problems. Caregivers must take good care of themselves. It may be helpful to divide the caregiving responsibilities among multiple family members, friends or neighbors. Caregivers should participate in support groups to share their experiences with others.

Answered 10/19/2018

6.1k views

Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Know your limits.: Share your thoughts & feelings with others who can understand & support you. Accept help when it is offered. Know when to ask for the help. There are support groups for caretakers in local communities (such as for Alzheimer’s, MS or the Elderly). Spend time with other people who you enjoy and care about. Research professional care-giving services.

Answered 10/19/2018

261 views