which is better for neck pain relief after a car accident - naproxen or hydrocodone?

Dr. Karl Haake
Anesthesiology 23 years experience
Naproxen: The best medication for pain relief after a car accident is naproxen. Hydrocodone is a narcotic. It may give temporary relief but it is not a long term answer for this type of pain. It can cause dependence and long-term studies do not show any long-term benefit to the use of hydrocodone. When weighing the risks, Naproxen is a better choice.
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology 16 years experience
Both can help: These medications are in 2 different classes. Naproxen is an NSAID and hydrocodone is an opioid and probably also has tylenol. If you don't have major kidney disease or stomach ulcers, Naproxen should be the safer of the 2. If inadequate, hydrocodone can be added until no longer needed. Use all meds as directed and carefully note all sources of acetaminophen/tylenol-3000mg/day max!
Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Brian Leanswered
Pain Management 17 years experience
Pain killers: Naproxen is a nsaids. Hydrocodone is an opioid. They are both used to treat pain. The best pain killer for the pain is the one that relieves your pain. It can be over the counter medication like Ibuprofen or tylenol, (acetaminophen) or prescription medication.
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Opioids like hydrocodone have serious tachyphylaxis - they become much less effective the longer you use them. Short term use only!
Sep 7, 2013