U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Barry, TX
A 52-year-old female asked:

Will diltiazem hcl 120 mg help pvc's and arrythmias if beta blockers don't?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. John Szawaluk
Cardiology 32 years experience
Unsure: Beta blockers are usually the drug of choice in this situation. However, some venticular arrythmias doe respond to calcium blockers like verapamil. See a cardiologist for further evaluation.
Dr. John Garner
Cardiology 17 years experience
Sometimes: These are two totally different classes of drugs and depending on the mechanism by which your pvcs arise, a calcium channel blocker may indeed be more effective. If drugs fail you, an expert center and electrophysiologist may be able to perform a PVC ablation to eliminate the beats from within the heart, but such procedures require a skilled electrophysiologist for the best chance at good results.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Mar 14, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.