what are the general triggers for tics in children to avoid?

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Many: Changes of routine, as in the beginning of school after a vacation, often trigger tics. Although these situations can't always be avoided, you can prepare yourself that the tics may increase, and not get upset over it. Stimulants, such as caffeine, chocolate & otc decongestants may trigger tics. Illnesses may also, particularly if the child has panda's. Here's the nmih website on it http://intr.
Dr. William Holmes
Child Psychiatry 34 years experience
Various: In general, kids with tics tend to have more tics under the following conditions: illness, fatigue, stress (situations involving increased levels of anxiety), and other siuations that evoke high levels of emotions. Obviously, you can never completely avoid these conditions, nor would you necessarily want to avoid some of them. However, it's good to be aware of the possiblities.