Can you prevent cerebral palsy from starting after hie occurs?

9 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. James Cummings answered

Specializes in Neonatology

Yes: As we understand more about the body's process of recovery from hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy, we have been able to introduce therapies that lessen the chances of long-term brain injury, including cerebral palsy. One such therapy is hypothermia, or body-cooling. In less severe cases of hie, hypothermia appears to improve brain outcomes.

Answered 7/2/2015

6.4k views

No: Newer therapies like head cooling (cool cap) and total body cooling can decrease the severity of the damage to the brain, but does not totally remove it. CP is very rarely from delivery room events. So, it is not preventable in the vast majority of cases.

Answered 7/7/2015

6.4k views

Brain damage: the brain damage is permanent. The extent of the functional problems can be helped with physical and occupational therapy. If necessary, rehabilitation services should b esought at a mulyi disciplinary program and supplemented with early intervention services.

Answered 6/20/2015

2.7k views