i'm 11 weeks and have a urinary tract infection. is it safe to take an antibiotic for the remainder of my pregnancy?

Dr. Craig Keathley
Yes: A simple bladder infection in pregnancy can be treated with antibiotics over the course of 7 days typically. Prolonged antibiotic therapy is not usually necessary unless an infection involving the kidney has been diagnosed and initially managed with treatment doses of antibiotics. Following treatment, a lower dose antibiotic may be used to prevent recurrence for the remainder of the pregnancy.
Dr. Jaime Lopez
Yes: A urinary tract infection is usually treated with a short course of antibiotics, so it would be unusual to take them for the entire pregnancy unless there is a specific reason. Ask your doctor.
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
?not need 4 29 weeks: Amoxicillin is quite safe during pregnancy, Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) is also most likely safe. But why to you think you need to be on antibiotics for the rest of your pregnancy? More like ly not reuired the whole time unless you have bladder reflux. Please discuss with your OB dr, goods luck.