is it safe to eat a vegetarian diet in pregnancy?

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Yes: A vegetarian diet is perfectly acceptable in pregnancy. You should monitor your diet to make sure you are getting enough protein from other sources like beans, eggs, diary products and nuts. As with nonvegetarians you should take a daily prenatal vitamin and a calcium supplement.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Yes, and: You will still need prenatal vitamins. If you are vegan (not eating eggs or dairy products) you'll also need B12 for sure.
Dr. Megan Bird
Yes: Vegetarians can have a perfectly normal pregnancy. There are considerations. You should make sure you get enough protein in your diet to accommodate your growing baby. Generally, we recommend talking to a nutritionist early on or before pregnancy to get an idea of the changes you will need to make.