What type of birth control can I use if had unprotected sex already? I had unprotected sex around 21 hours ago and don't know what type of birth control to take. I was also on my 2nd or 3rd day of my menstrual cycle.

24 years experience in Psychiatry
Just : Just so you know, it would be unlikely for you to become pregnant if you had sex the second or third day of your period. A woman might become pregnant having sex on the last day of her period but even that would be a long shot. Mobile, viable sperm would need to remain alive in the woman's body until she ovulated and then she would need to ovulate fairly early (3 to 7 days to ensure that the sperm are alive). You may be thinking of something like plan b. It is really important to use protection if you are going to be sexually active. Morning after pills should not be used as a routine form of birth control. This medication has side effects like other medications.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016