i feel so ill, ridden with anger and hurt, is depression likely? depression and bipolar disorder have/are becoming less visible in my dad, but i know they can be transferred from a parent. i will cut my hips, legs, or arms. i bruise myself, and i've burne

2 doctor answers
24 years experience Psychiatry
Hello. : Hello. I can't make a diagnosis via this format. Your moods could be related to an affective disorder like major depression, but also may have some traits seen with borderline personality disorder. Please get help. Currently, we have the best medications ever available to treat these conditions. You sound lonely. Please get help with a therapist. I know that it probably seems hard to believe that things can improve, but honestly they can. I think dying sounds alright to you now, because you are in so much pain. When you are feeling better, suicide probably won't seem like an attractive option. Plese let your family know about your cutting and your suicidal thoughts. If you have active thoughts to kill yourself now, the please call 911 or have your family take you to the er. Please give treatment a chance. Take care.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1
Dr. Craig Westin
40 years experience Clinical Psychology
Go to a therapist.: The symptoms your are talking about are severe and you should seek help immediately. When bipolar is in the family genetics there is always a high probability that it is passed down. There is medication that is quite helpful for this and there is no need to suffer when there is help available. The hurting yourself is an attempt to not feel so bad emotionally but provides no long term help.
Answered on Apr 21, 2014