could this swelling be just a possible sprain? i was told last night that i have a possible blood clot in my leg and possibly that is why it is so swollen. they checked and there wasnt any. i've tried everything to get it to go down but it hasnt and wont

Dr. Haritha Vankireddy
Swelling : Swelling of legs is caused by various reasons. Blood clots, sprains, varicose veins and venous insufficiency, kidney failure, anemia etc. Sprain usually occurs after an injury. It occurs on one side only unless both ankles are injured. Once blood clot is ruled out, especially in pregnancy the most common reasons for swelling are: 1. Because baby is pressing on the veins in pelvic area, the venous blood from the legs returning to heart is slowed down which in turn causes swelling in both legs. This can be treated with using compression stockings and elevating feet whenever there is a chance. Also avoiding salt can be helpful. Unfortunately this can last through the rest of pregnancy and will improve after delivery. 2. The most important thing is to check with your doctor and make sure your blood pressure is good and that you are not spilling any protein in urine which is an effect from high blood pressure called preecclampsia. This when ignored can lead to harm to fetus and mother. I would highly recommend that you should check with your baby doctor if you already have not.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016