Constant leg pain i've been diagnosed with bilateral meralgia paraesthetica for over 2 years. My legs are always numb and the pain would start after any kind of activity throughout the day reaching its peak in about 5 hrs. For about three months now the p

Dr. Frances Dyro
53 years experience in Neurology
Meralgia : Meralgia paresthetica is a very annoying neuropathy. It sometimes appears after gyn surgery or during pregnancy when the increasedsize of the belly puts pressure on the small nerve that supplies the skin on the outside of the thigh. This irritates that nerve and causes the burning, painful sensation. The nerve does not supply any muscles. The nerve passes from the pelvis to the thigh below the crest of the hip. Mri will not show it. Ultrasound is sometimes used. The treatment may include surgery to release the nerve or local anesthetic patches to decrease the pain. If you are carrying extra weight you can help take the pressure off by losing some weight. If you are a guy who wears a tool belt make sure it doesn't hang down too low. If you put your hands on your hips and point down with your pinky you will be at the approximate point where the nerve comes through the groin. I hope you find some relief. The only good news is that the problem is not in the spine.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016