Should i go to the er"? i am a 56 yr old female, diabetes, high blood pressure. having off and on stomach pain in the middle and left side, pain in my neck and ear and some jaw pain. i thought these may be symptoms of a heart attack in women. i have no in

Hello. : Hello. I don't know what your pain represents. I will list some of the symptoms of a mycocardial infarction (heart attack). Chest pain, tightness, squeezing or fullness is the most common presentation. However the pain can also present in the upper back, the upper middle abdomen, jaw, head, teeth or in the arms (left more than right). One could have nausea, vomiting or it could feel like indigestion or heartburn. Feeling short of breath, sweating and just feeling out of sorts can also occur. About a fourth of people have no significant symptoms during a heart attack. You asked specifically about symptoms in women. The following statistics are from a national institute of health study . 43% of women had no chest pain. 58% were short of breath; 55% had marked weakness; 43% experienced fatigue, with cold sweats in 39% & dizziness in 39%. According to the study preceding their heart attacks women experienced the following symptoms: unusual fatigue - 70%; sleep disturbance - 48%; shortness of breath - 42%; indigestion - 39% and anxiety - 35%. Whenever int doubt it is best to take the cautious road. Jaw pain in a woman with diabetes and high blood pressure is of concern.
Dr. Daniel Weiss
Endocrinology 47 years experience
You : You have lots of symptoms. It is difficult to tell. Jaw, left arm and chest (between the breasts) pain is suggestive of heart attack and time is of the essence. This pain lasts more than 5 minutes. This can be an emergency. If you have pain that lasts seconds and comes and goes over days that's different. I cannot tell without knowing more specifics and I do urge you to get checked out to be sure and be safe.
Dr. Jon Spiers
Thoracic Surgery 32 years experience
Would not hurt...: As a general rule, i instruct my patient that if they ever think it is possible they are having a heart attack, then it is possible they are having a heart attack and should be evaluated as if they are. You have lots of medical problems, and certainly women (and diabetics) can have pain that is different from the "classic" description. I suggest you go to the er or see your doc asap.
Dr. Oscar Novick
Find out what's wron: What are you waiting for, an ambulance? Get yourself to the er to be evaluated.
Last updated Jun 25, 2018