will my hand be alright? when will it be back to normal? after biking i hurt my wrist so i had put it into a wrist brace that also covered my hand for two days. this morning i took the brace off because i noticed that my hand felt tight. when i did i saw

Hello. : Hello. A good acronym to remember when taking care of an injured wrist is: rice. 1. Rest- for 24 to 28 hours try not to do activities that require you to use your wrist. Some people use a splint to reduce using their wrist. 2. Ice- for the first two days after injury, apply ice for about 15 to 20 minutes to your wrist every few hours. A bag of frozen peas can be good for this purpose. 3. Compression- you can wrap your hand, wrist and forearm with an ace wrap. Make sure it is not so tight that it decreases your circulation. 4. Elevate- elevate your wrist so that it is above your heart. This can be done by propping with pillows. Because you didn't see the swelling until the second day; wonder if the wrist brace was too tight. A non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (like motrin) can help with both inflammation and pain. You don't seem to be describing a lot of pain. I don't know when it will return to normal - i don't know what the injury consists of. If you are still having significant symptoms after a week, you could call your doctor. However, if the function of your hand becomes compromised, recommend an evaluation.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
So : So your inure can range from a contusion or bruise to a ligament rupture or a fracture or both. Sounds like you need to go for x-rays and see a specialist a hand surgeon or an orthopedic surgeon. Then once you have a diagnosis then perhaps answers will be forthcoming.
Dr. Jerry Huang
Hand Surgery 20 years experience
If : If you have severe hand pain and swelling after a fall while biking, you should see an orthopedic surgeon or hand surgeon to make sure you do not have a fracture (broken bone) or ligament injury in your wrist or hand. While you may only have a wrist sprain, an x-rays should be ordered to make sure you have no bony or ligament injuries.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016