How long does the pain last after radiesse (dermal fillers) injections? i've heard that the radiesse (dermal fillers) shots hurt a lot in your cheeks. will it go away fast?

Dr. Peter Certo
Dentistry 31 years experience
If : If you get no numbing, then yes, they hurt, a lot! and, yes, the pain goes away, almost immediately. Ice helps greatly. I have never had a patient complain of pain after the filler was placed. The placement of the filler is uncomfortable, that is why we numb you first. I only use topical anesthetic to do the fillers. I have come to find that dental injections hurt much more than doing fillers with topical only. I leave it on for at least 10 minutes to allow it to "sink in". There is only one filler injection that i dental numb for and that is filling lips. Even with those, I have had no pain reported post injection. I refuse to use any filler with anesthetic for 2 reasons: 1. Putting the needle in hurts, not after it is removed, 2. It takes up 20% of the syringe volume and it dissolves over the next hour or so. This creates a false reading on the filler placed.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery 23 years experience
There : There isn't normally a lot of discomfort after cheek Radiesse (dermal fillers) treatment. You may notice a few days of mild pressure from the swelling, though.
Dr. Richard Fleming
Facial Plastic Surgery 53 years experience
There : There should be no pain after Radiesse (dermal fillers) injections regardless of where the filler is placed. We always add local anesthesia to the filler.
Dr. Ron Pelton
Facial Plastic Surgery 39 years experience
Any : Any pain that you have goes away as soon as the needle is removed. If the injector gives you a nerve block, almost all of the pain is taken away.
Dr. Mia Skourtis
Surgery - Plastics 25 years experience
Typically, : Typically, there is no significant pain following the injection of facial fillers. The injections can be uncomfortable without some type of anesthetic, and your plastic surgeon should give you the option of a topical anesthetic applied to the skin (moderately decreases skin sensitivity) or a nerve block (a quick injection that very effectively numbs wider regions of the face, including the sensitive areas such as the lips).
Last updated Jun 28, 2019