i have a pimple like thing on my ear and my entire ear is bright red, it hurts alot, what do you think it is? i don't know if i was bit by something, but it is possible.

Dr. Richard Arden
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 37 years experience
How : How long has it been there? Where is it located and what size is it? Is it expanding progressively? Was there any history of skin trauma to that area? Any history of similar occurrences in the past? Something that is red, warm, painful, and particularly associated with a pustule, is by definition an inflammatory/infectious response. This should be looked at without delay to avoid complications in the ear such as perichondritis or abscess. You more than likely need to start on antibiotics +/- short-term oral steroids, and if a pustule is present it should be aseptically opened and drained and cultures taken. If you are diabetic or immuncompromised all the more reason for expediency. Even if it was from an insect bite i would treat it the same.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016